Thanks for all of your feedback and for helping us make RockMelt better!
In addition improving stability and fixing 70+ bugs, we’ve been hard at work upgrading the launch experience and our Chromium base to improve overall performance. In this update, RockMelt now has:
• Quick Launch
RockMelt now starts up faster than ever. With Quick Launch, RockMelt will start immediately and complete the full login in the background so you don’t have to wait for login to complete. To use Quick Launch, just check the “Keep me logged in” option on the login screen.
Of course, if you’re using a shared computer or want to disable Quick Launch later on, you can always log out from the RockMelt menu.
• Chromium 9
Updating to the latest stable release of Chromium (which was released just a few days ago) means that RockMelt not only handles multimedia better, it’s also faster.
Details about other changes in this update can be found at the bottom of this post.
Your RockMelt will download the update automatically within the next day or so but you can update it now by opening the RockMelt menu, choosing “About RockMelt” to download the update, and then restarting to apply the update.
Please keep sending us feedback – we love hearing from you. Much more to come soon so stay tuned!
Enhancements in Version 0.9.44.230
- Upgrade to Chromium 9 – Faster and better multimedia handling!
- Quick Launch – Check “Keep me logged in” to make RockMelt launch faster than ever
- More dependable chatting from behind proxy servers, firewalls, and restricted networks
- Supports adding of secure (https) RSS feeds
74 Bugs Fixed
- Improved reliability of feed updates
- Improved reliability of syncing
- Fixed several issues causing browser crashes
- (Mac) Allow importing of Chrome bookmarks
- (Mac) Fixed issue preventing following / unfollowing a user from within Twitter App
- (Mac) Improved long-term memory use and feed performance
Our New Year’s resolution is to continue raising your expectations of what a browser can be. As part of that goal, we’re happy to announce that our first update of 2011 puts RockMelt on the latest stable release of Chromium and makes the browser better than ever.
In addition to fixing over 40 bugs and adding a dozen features, this upgrade to Chromium 8 means that we now support web apps from the Chrome Web Store. We’ve also made feed updates faster, updated keyboard shortcuts, synced Friend Edge view preferences, and added many more features listed below.
Like always, your browser will download the update automatically within the next day or so. If you want it now, open the RockMelt menu, choose “About RockMelt” to download the update, and then restart to apply the update.
Stay tuned for more exciting updates, and happy browsing!
Enhancements in Version 0.8.40.147
- Upgrade to Chromium 8 – RockMelt now supports Chrome Web Store apps!
- Updated New Tab page to allow for management of Chrome Web Store apps
- Faster, more reliable feeds – Feeds are twice as fast and perform better than ever
- Preference for viewing Favorites / All friends in Friend Edge is now synced across all your RockMelt browsers
- Updated keyboard shortcuts to the following combinations:
- Hide Friend Edge: Cmd (Mac) / Ctrl (Windows) + Shift + [
- Hide App Edge: Cmd / Ctrl + Shift + ]
- Hide Both Edges: Cmd / Ctrl + Shift + \
- Open Status Updater: Cmd / Ctrl + Shift + U
- Open Share window: Cmd / Ctrl + Shift + S
- Open FB Message w/ current page attached: Cmd / Ctrl + Shift + M
- (Mac) Upgraded chat experience – Incoming chats do not steal focus and the RockMelt dock icon displays profile pics, as well as the number of unread chats
- (Mac) Reduced memory usage of feed windows, especially when left open for a long time
- (Mac) Improved performance of opening and scrolling through feeds
- (Windows) Spell checking in chat, Facebook messages, status updates, sharing, comments, and tweets
42 Bugs Fixed
- Fixed issue with empty Facebook Feed and Facebook Profile affecting certain browsers
- Fixed several issues causing crashes
- (Mac) Fixed issues preventing unfollowing of Twitter users
- (Mac) Fixed issues with opening search results in new tabs
- (Windows) Fixed layout issues with chat messages
- (Windows) Fixed drag and drop removal of Facebook Profile and Facebook Feed
- (Windows) Fixed Windows 7 issue with having multiple RockMelt icons in the taskbar
Today, we’re releasing a small update that fixes some stability issues with Apps, browsing in Incognito mode, and browser synching. We’ve also added some holiday cheer in the header of the New Tab Page, as well as parts of the Invite App. Please see below for more details.
As before, if you’re already using RockMelt, your browser will download the update automatically within the next 24 hours or so. If you want it now, just open the RockMelt menu, choose “About RockMelt” to download the update, and then just restart to apply the update.
Thanks for using RockMelt and for all of your support and feedback. Happy browsing!
Enhancements in Version 0.8.36.116
- New holiday designs on the New Tab Page and in the Invite App
- Streamlined invitation process and invite message customization
- Simplified New Tab Page and added quick links to the footer
15 Bugs Fixed
- Improved reliability of App feeds and updates
- Improved reliability of synching extensions and preferences
- Fixed issue causing duplicate new tabs and landing pages
- Fixed causes of several crashes in Incognito mode
Wow, we’ve had an exciting two weeks! Since our beta launch, we’ve received a lot of great feedback and have been working around the clock to add new features and boost stability and performance.
The latest version of RockMelt (0.8.36.74) is focused on improving stability by upgrading the underlying Chromium to version 7. We’ve also enhanced our Twitter and Facebook integration and sharing, and created a RockMelt-specific Gmail Notifier App. Check out the list below for more details.
If you’re already using RockMelt, your browser will update automatically within the next day but you can download it now by opening the RockMelt menu in the upper left, choosing “About RockMelt,” and checking for updates.
Thanks for using RockMelt and for all of your feedback, patience, and support for far! We’re only just beginning :)
Enhancements in Version 0.8.36.74
- New Gmail Notifier App to let you know when you have new email. To install, just go to gmail.com, sign in, and click on the “Add Apps” button at the bottom of the App Edge
- Tweet directly from the Twitter App using the new “compose” button at the top
- Update your status directly from the Facebook App by clicking on the new “compose” button at the top
- Search within the Facebook, Twitter, and News Apps by typing in the new filter box (Windows users press CTRL+F to invoke)
- Compose messages, write on walls, or go straight to a website through richer context menus when you right-click on a Friend or App in the Edge
- Faster, more consistent Twitter and Facebook feed updates and notifications
- Look for more invites and improved notifications in the enhanced Invite App
- Hide or show edges while in full-screen mode, just like in the normal view
- Upgrade to Chromium 7 for improvements in speed and stability and better HTML 5 support
- (Mac) Fixed keyboard shortcut so Command+K puts focus in the search field
- (Mac) Twitter App recognizes underscores in Twitter handles :)
- (Mac) Fixed issues with importing Firefox bookmarks
- (Windows) Fixed issues when adding new Twitter accounts
- (Windows) Enhanced the URL box and bookmarking bar
- (Mac / Windows) Fixed a bunch of bugs that caused crashes
- (Mac / Windows) Improved Share button functionality when sharing videos from YouTube, Vimeo, Hulu and others