Thanks to the hard work of our intern Emilio (RockMelt’s biggest YouTube fan), you can now watch YouTube right from the App Edge!
RockMelt YouTube App Origins
The idea for a YouTube App first came about during our company holiday party, where Emilio volunteered to be our DJ. Although he left his iPod at home, Emilio re-created his playlists on YouTube – and that’s when the fun started.
Since YouTube lets you play all the videos in a playlist continuously, we all added our favorite songs to Emilio’s playlist. Occasionally, the music would be stopped by people searching for videos using the same tab that videos were playing from. We also heard some songs five or six times because people didn’t know which ones had already been added. But none of that stopped us – especially Emilio – from having a good time.
Following the party, we also did some research and discovered that YouTube was the #1 RSS feed added to the App Edge!
Given the fun we had and YouTube’s popularity with RockMelt users, we thought it would be great if there was a YouTube App for RockMelt that could re-create the festive atmosphere quickly. Not only would this app let you play YouTube videos easily, it would also include the most-requested features from our party:
- Create playlists and add videos quickly
- Play videos continuously
- Search without interrupting playing videos, and
- See recent researches
With these ideas in mind, Emilio began working on an app right after the new year. Today, we’re excited to have everybody try it out.
Installation and Features
To install the YouTube App:
- Click on the “Show all apps and feeds” button at the bottom of the App Edge, and
- Star the YouTube icon at the top
In addition to watching your favorite videos, the YouTube App also lets you:
- Play videos continuously
- Loop and shuffle videos in playlists
- Simultaneously search and play videos
- See your search history
- Share videos with your friends
If you click on the gear button in the app and sign in with your YouTube account, you can also:
- Load and add videos to your playlists
- Rate videos, and
- Save videos to watch later
To play videos in the background and re-size videos (especially high-definition ones), just drag the YouTube App off the App Edge.
Special thanks to YouTube for providing the APIs and tools to make this app possible!
We built RockMelt to make browsing simpler and more enjoyable. We started by integrating automatic feed updates, faster search, and social features like chatting and sharing because those are the most fundamental browser functions.
But we’ve never thought of RockMelt as just a browser that makes it easier to access social networks or to get website updates. In fact, we have a whole lot more planned – the YouTube App is just a start, and we’d love to hear your suggestions.
p.s. Here’s where Emilio learned all his dance moves:
- vipinraj reblogged this from rockmelt
- idmserial reblogged this from four-wheeler
- jeen-hao reblogged this from four-wheeler
- four-wheeler reblogged this from rockmelt
- nhmortgagebroker reblogged this from rockmelt
- internet-basket reblogged this from rockmelt
- internet-basket likes this
- liapin reblogged this from rockmelt
- liapin likes this
- nhollins96 reblogged this from rockmelt
- data3oh reblogged this from rockmelt and added:
- thehealingtide reblogged this from rockmelt and added:
- theeffelmendoza likes this
- mickeystiletto likes this
- cwm1955 likes this
- townhousekrew likes this
- lofto likes this
- edvard reblogged this from rockmelt and added:
- edvard likes this
- therespawnroom likes this
- freekylooney likes this
- atompowers likes this
- mfox04 likes this
- c4jones2 reblogged this from rockmelt and added:
- symmetrism likes this
- victorish likes this
- acerealkiller likes this
- rockmelt posted this